After completing the Common App essay, many students find themselves facing a challenging array of college-specific essay questions, each with a specified word limit.
• What motivates you to learn?
• Tell us about the place, or places, you call home.
• You’re on a voyage in the thirteenth century, sailing across the tempestuous seas. What if, suddenly, you fell off the edge of the Earth?
• Talk about a time, in or outside the classroom, when you worked with others and what you learned from the experience.
• How have you been affected by a relationship you’ve had with someone who is very different from yourself?
Why are you applying here?
The student completes Hillside’s "Why Apply Here?" Worksheet, which provides instruction for performing college-specific research. The Worksheet and a collection of the applicant’s supplement prompts, including word limits, are due to the Hillside coach at least 48 hours before the Strategy Session.
Coach and student identify promising areas of experience, isolating details and discovering efficiencies for addressing essay prompts. The coach also provides feedback on the student’s college-specific research. By session’s end, the student has direction and is ready to begin writing.
Following the Strategy Session, the coach creates The Supplements Planner — a customized, shared spreadsheet to help the student with project management. The Planner organizes prompts, word limits, deadlines, ideas, and session notes, supporting the strategic thinking necessary for efficient progress.
A close review of the student’s written progress (which must be submitted to the coach at least 24 hours before the session). As the conversation about revisions unfolds, coach and student update The Supplements Planner.
A second intensive draft-feedback session designed by the coach from study of the student’s submitted progress. The coach provides insight and instruction on tailoring revisions to address different supplement prompts.
NOTE: As a policy — one that supports the best writing and coaching experience — a student's Hillside coach remains the same from The Uncommon Essay Course or The Jumpstart Course through The Supplements Launch.